Ha, my favourite drink, and topic! How to make the perfect chai and then sip (note sip, not drink!) it in peace.
The Perfect Chai:
- For each cup, of chai u need about 4/5 th cup of water, u are going to lose some water in evaporation etc.. and u are going to add milk for the rest. This measure can be changed to suit your proportion of tea+milk.
- Boil the water and then pour it into the tea pot. Now ad the tea leaves, I use about 1 teaspoon/cup. - Now close the pot, and if u want to preserve the heat, close it with a sort of insulating cap u get for the pot.
- Now heat some milk separately.
- The cups can be pre-heated by rinsing with hot water.
- After the tea has brewed for 7-10 minutes, pour the tea into the cups through a strainer, add milk + sugar.
Modified Chai (doesn't need pot etc..)
- Boil the water in a regular vessel
- Turn off the gas, add chai and close the vessel with a plate so that the steam stays in
- Other steps are same
Ginger+Ilaichi chai :
- Cut some pieces of ginger, crush them with a spoon. Add it to the water when u boil it. U can also add Ilaichi (cardamom ) to add flavor.
U can try various types of tea. The best is got by mixing the so called dust tea and leaf tea. Dust adds strength, while leaf gives a distinctive flavor to it. Try Darjeeling tea, its great.
And remember tea should never be boiled, it should be brewed.