I've noticed many postings recently on how to make authentic Indian chai, but I don't think anyone's really explained the secret of Indian-style tea, so here it is:
The best way to get the distinct flavor of Indian tea is:
- take the tea bag or loose tea (preferably Darjeeling or Assamese) and put it in the water while it's cold (yes, cold).
- then boil the water with the tea bag in it.
- once it's boilng add 1-2 spoons of sugar and about 1/4 cup of milk (add quantity to taste)
- if you like the taste add Indian Masala when water starts boiling
- cook just for about 30 seconds.
- then strain and serve.
You'll find that the taste of any tea bag is better when it boils instead of adding boiled water into a tea cup with a tea bag because the tea really "infuses" when you boil the bag with the water.
Even though I've grown up in America, I've been in-bred with a love for Indian chai!